Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pushing the Limits- a seriously long post


this blog is about "Limitless Linda", how I seek out new adventures to push my limits and break out of comfort zones I once found so familiar and safe.  That being said, Friday was completely about having my limits tested in SO many facets of my life.

My morning began in my most favorite way, coffee with my best friend. We visited for a couple of hours until I had to run to St Luke's for an appointment.  I had made a "to-do list" over coffee and was feeling motivated to take full advantage of my day off.

The to-do list began with a shoulder physical therapy appointment. (I have a rotator cuff injury that has been getting worked on for 5 weeks.) Yesterday was an evaluation to see when I would be released from therapy.  I was tested with 9 different strength exercises and at the end of my 30 minute appointment, I could not even lift a 1 lb barbell laterally.  I had exhausted my shoulder to complete failure.  My limits were pushed, and met.  I passed the evaluation and only have to come back once a week for the next two sessions before I'm released.   Limits tested...CHECK!

Next on my list was the Social Security Administration.  I ran home to shower and dress up for the day.  It was supposed to be in the 70's and I felt the need to look cute and be summery.  Legs shaved...check.  I'd obviously been neglecting that because a) it's been winter and b) who do I have to care about my legs?! Just having my legs shaved and a sundress on gave me a boost of happiness.  I was ready to tackle social security so I could legally change my last name back to Wallace.  I grabbed the paperwork I needed and headed out.  Upon my arrival at SSA, I was greeted by a full room of people and a line at the check in kiosk. I patiently waited and when it was my turn, I asked the security guard which option I needed.  The machine gave me my number and I found a place to sit and patiently wait. (I'm working on becoming a more patient person, remember?)

While waiting, I decided to read through the thick packet of papers and find the place that mentioned I had been restored to my maiden name during the divorce.  It was a good thing I became bored and got out the papers...I had grabbed the wrong thick envelope.  I got up, threw away my number, and sheepishly told the guard I would return with the correct set of papers.  So, after a drive back to Meridian, back to Boise, through the kiosk check in process again, waiting with the CORRECT set of papers in hand, and being helped by the nicest of all clerks in the office (Melissa), I officially became Linda Wallace, according to the government and its powers that be.  Limits tested...CHECK!

What would be more fun than going straight to the DMV on a beautiful sunny day? Nothing!  By this time, my Friday morning had ended and it was 12:35pm when I got to the only building in all of Ada County to make changes to a drivers license. I pulled my number and saw I had 63 people ahead of me numerically.  I settled in for the duration and people watched...fast forward an hour. Still 23 people ahead of me numerically, because NOT ONLY were the numbers being called in sequence, (212, 213, 214) but there would be random insertions of numbers in the 400 and 600 range as well.  I have NO IDEA how many customers were called ahead of me, but I do know I rested my head on the wall behind me and dozed off at one point and woke up when I felt a tiny drop of drool attempting to escape my lips. My number was called at 1:57.  I produced the paperwork needed for name and address change, took an eye test, a new photo, and paid my fee.  I left the DMV and walked out into the gorgeous sunshine at 2:09pm.  Limits tested...CHECK!

I had an appointment scheduled at Edward Jones at 2pm that I had to push back due to the delay at the DMV, but I was still able to be seen when I arrived. My financial advisor and I began playing the games with PERSI and Great West in order to get the ball rolling on having money transferred into my account.  I learned that even through the QDRO process, if I wanted to cash out any money to pay off the debt incurred during the divorce, I would be looking at nearly a 42% penalty on the money withdrawn.  HOLY $#!@! 25% federal tax, 7% state tax and a 10% early withdrawal penalty? SERIOUSLY.  Limits tested...CHECK!

I left Edward Jones just before 4pm. I had planned to be at Storyfort at 5pm and scheduled to paint at 7pm. I made another quick trip back to my house to grab a change of clothes for painting, a protein shake and to drop off all the paperwork in my car.  I had to gas up my car on my way and texted Alex from the Boise Creative Center to see if parking was available in his lot. Downtown Boise was completely crazy due to the Treefort Music Festival AND the fact it was a Friday right before 5pm.  I found a spot in his lot, paid my fee, and headed to the Linen Building for some story telling.  My name was drawn FIRST again to come up on stage and tell my five minute off the cuff story.  I decided to share my ONE WEEK experience about having a profile on Tinder and OKCupid. (That's a whole blog in itself) Serious limits tested...CHECK!

Time to paint!!! I walked from the Linen Building through Grove Street and looked at a few vendor booths. I signed up to be a bone marrow donor, because, why not? Maybe I can help save a life someday.  I changed clothes in my car and was just in time to get set up in the studio for a fun night of painting.  I had decided earlier in the day that I wanted to paint two canvases and saw I was set up in my "regular seat" with the extra supplies.  It was an awesome experience.  I took the one picture that everyone else in the class was painting on one canvas, and stretched mine out mentally to extend the length of two canvases.  This was only my 5th painting experience... I think I'm starting to get it.  Limits tested...CHECK!




I got home around 11:30pm and decided to sit out back on the phone, sharing the details of my day with my bestie, and to enjoy the end of a perfectly gorgeous day with a cup of coffee (I know, it was almost midnight, but time means nothing when it comes to a good cup of coffee). I kept hearing the sound of geese and thought it was strange that they were so loud that late at night. There must have been some type of predator nearby.  The geese noises kept going, getting louder then fainter, then a really strange screaming sound. I wondered to myself if one of them got attacked and was being killed nearby. Then I heard a loud grunt and some explitives that I shall not share here... Oh. My. Gawd. My backyard neighbors bedroom window was open and they were getting it on.  NEED I SAY MORE?


THE REST OF MY LIMITS TESTED... DOUBLE CHECK!
Wait, no, I'm limitless...please keep pushing my buttons universe. I'm learning to enjoy it.





No comments:

Post a Comment